December 28, 2011

First Christmas in Our New Home

Scott, Milo, and I had a great first Christmas in our new home! As you've seen from my earlier posts, the house was nicely decorated and our tree turned out really well. Scott and I spent Christmas eve at home and had our own celebration. The majority pf my morning was spent making my mom's trifle. We have it every year in Canada and I wanted to continue the tradition here. We opened some presents and had an early dinner. My family has a tradition of eating meatballs and perogies on Christmas eve, so that's what we made for dinner. We had a bunch of leftovers so decided to take some over to Scott's parents. His mom had knee replacement surgery a few weeks ago so we figured they wouldn't object to leftovers. When we came home we opened a couple more presents and then went to bed.

On Christmas day Scott woke me up around 7:30 to open the rest of our presents to and from each other. We both got some good swag and Milo was pretty happy with the treats and toys Santa brought him. He even got some stocking stuffers from his grandma and grandpa Kich in Canada. He was excited that they didn't forget about him. After our gifts were opened I headed back into the kitchen to make a couple of dishes to take over to Scott's parents place. They had the Cooley family Christmas at their house. We went over mid afternoon and just hung out waiting for everyone else to arrive. It wasn't a huge gathering; there was myself, Scott, Gretchen and Nolan (Scott's parents), Matt, Jen, and Jack (the siblings), Brandi (sister in law), our niece Jaycee, and the four dogs: Milo, Chubs, Elvis, and Scooter. We had fun exchanging gifts and stockings. A few of us got something prank-like in our stockings. Scott is deathly afraid of mice and rats and he got a giant jelly belly rat in his stocking. I had Nolan and got him a coffee mug with his picture on it. Under the picture it said "crap garbage" which is one of Nolan's favorite sayings in the world. We all got a good laugh when he opened it.

One of the night's highlights was that it was Jaycee's first Christmas. After everything she went through being born so early, we're all so glad that she's healthy and happy. As expected, Jaycee got a lot of loot! The item she was most fascinated with was a box of tic tacs, go figure! She was laughing her head off every time we shook the tic tacs box. She started going red in the face and ended up getting the hiccups. Needless to say, I think she had a great first Christmas. All of the excitement tuckered her out at the end of the night.

Overall, I think everyone had a good Christmas. Scott and I called my family in Canada to wish them a merry Christmas. I haven't been back to Guelph for two years now but it was nice to at least speak with my family on the holiday. My parents are actually coming in today for a visit. They won't be here very long, but it's better than nothing. Scott and I are looking forward to spending time with them and to show them our house as they've only seen pictures. Merry Christmas everyone and a happy new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment